To help you out, I’ve gathered some of the best sides, desserts, and drinks that will transform your sushi into an unforgettable meal.
- Miso Soup. Japanese meals always have soup in it, so this is a must if you’re eating sushi.
- Gari or Pickled Ginger.
- Kani Salad.
- Seaweed Salad.
- 1 What do you serve with sushi?
- 2 What vegetable goes with sushi?
- 3 What are Japanese side dishes called?
- 4 What desserts go with sushi?
- 5 What appetizers go with sushi?
- 6 What is best to drink with sushi?
- 7 What is the white stuff served with sushi?
- 8 What is the green stuff served with sushi?
- 9 What do you need for a sushi party?
- 10 What is a popular side dish in Japan?
- 11 What does sushi stand for?
- 12 What is the pink stuff next to Wasabi?
- 13 What wine goes well with sushi?
- 14 What desserts go well with seafood?
What do you serve with sushi?
14 Sushi Side Dishes
- Miso Soup. This is my number one go-to side dish when I am having sushi.
- Suimono soup. This is another very popular Japanese clear soup.
- Tsukemono (Japanese pickles) Pickled ginger is one of the most popular accompaniments served with sushi.
- Wakame salad.
What vegetable goes with sushi?
Suggested Vegetable Sushi Recipe Mix-and-Match Fillings
- Cucumber (skin left on, cut into thin long strips)
- Avocado slices.
- Shiitake mushroom (if dried, soak for 30 minutes then squeeze water out, remove stems and slice thinly)
- Bell pepper (cut into long thin strips)
- Carrot (cut into long thin strips)
What are Japanese side dishes called?
Most Japanese-English dictionaries translate okazu as side dish. This is not quite accurate. A typical Japanese meal consists of rice and, accompanying it, a dish of fish or, sometimes meat, and vegetables. These are seasoned food whereas rice is plain, unseasoned.
What desserts go with sushi?
Perfect Desserts For Your Sushi Dinner
- Mochi. Often filled with ice-cream, or anko (sweet red bean paste) mochi are sweet, sticky rice cakes.
- Anmitsu. Japanese people have relished the earthy sweetness of anmitsu for more than 100 years.
- Honey Toast.
- Don’t Forget Tea.
What appetizers go with sushi?
- Edamame. Lightly salted soybean pods steamed to perfection.
- Crispy Crab Wontons. Spiced crab meat blended with cream cheese and scallions fried to a golden crisp.
- Tuna Tartar.
- Teriyaki Skewer.
- Beef Pot Stickers.
- Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls.
- Spinach Cheese Sticks.
- Seafood Dynamite.
What is best to drink with sushi?
Beer and Wine Pairings: What to Drink with Sushi
- Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, and Pinot Grigio.
- Pinot Noir.
- Asahi Super Dry Lager.
- Sapporo Lager.
- Yoho Wednesday Cat Belgian White Nagano.
What is the white stuff served with sushi?
You will often also see white strips on your plate. This is shredded daikon (radish). It is used as a garnish on sushi plates. Like many garnishes on American dishes, you can eat it or push it to the side.
What is the green stuff served with sushi?
Wasabi is the green paste that you will find served with sushi dishes. It is very spicy and should be used lightly. However, it plays a vital role in your meal. Wasabi aids digestion and helps keep the fish safe for eating.
What do you need for a sushi party?
You will need:
- A few cutting boards (one for every 2-3 people).
- A few pairs of sharp knives.
- A few sets of bamboo sushi mats for making sushi rolls.
- Small bowls of hand-dipping water by combining ¼ cup water with 2 tsp.
- Utensils (chopsticks), dinnerware (plates and dipping sauce plates), and serveware (large platters).
What is a popular side dish in Japan?
15 Easy Japanese Side Dishes For Your Weeknight Dinner
- Spinach Ohitashi (Japanese Spinach Salad)
- Teriyaki Tofu.
- Cucumber and Chicken Marinated in Chili Oil.
- Broccoli Blanched with Sesame Oil.
- Ramen Egg (Ajitsuke Tamago)
- 6. Japanese Chilled Tofu (Hiyayakko)
- 7. Japanese Salted Chicken Wings (Teba Shio)
What does sushi stand for?
Sushi comes from a Japanese word meaning “sour rice,” and it’s the rice that’s at the heart of sushi, even though most Americans think of it as raw fish. In fact, it’s the word sashimi that refers to a piece of raw fish.
What is the pink stuff next to Wasabi?
The green paste is wasabi, a fiery relative of horseradish, while the pink garnish is pickled ginger or “gari” in Japanese.
What wine goes well with sushi?
For sushi, sashimi or other makis based on white fish, you can choose a lively Chardonnay with woody notes. For more fatty fish such as salmon, you may prefer a dry white like a Mâcon or a Chablis. A plate with a variety of fishes will find a good harmony with a floral white wine like a sauvignon, or a Riesling.
What desserts go well with seafood?
17 Desserts That Go With Seafood
- Fruit Kebabs. Fruits are not the most exciting dessert, especially for kids.
- Heaven on Earth Cake. Whoever coined this dessert is 100% on point.
- Bananas Foster.
- Lemon Cheesecake.
- Orange Upside Down Cake.
- Lemon Pudding Cake.
- Strawberry Shortcake.
- Jello Salad.